EC said no victory processions would be allowed after the counting of votes and only two people would be allowed to accompany the winning candidate
The Election Commission of India (ECI) on April 27 banned victory processions after the declaration of Assam, Tamil Nadu, Puducherry, West Bengal and Kerala Assembly election results on May 2 due to the surge in COVID-19 cases.
The decision comes a day after the ECI faced flak from the Madras High Court over the violations of COVID-19 protocols during campaigning for the five Assembly elections. The court blamed the ECI for the second wave of the pandemic in Tamil Nadu and Puducherry.
“In view of the surge in COVID-19 cases throughout the country, the Commission has decided to make more stringent provision to be followed during the process of counting, in addition to exiting broad guidelines dated 21st August, 2020, “ the ECI said in a letter to the Chief Electoral Officers of all States.
It said no victory processions would be allowed after the counting of votes and only a maximum of two people would be allowed to accompany the winning candidate or their authorised representative to receive the certificate of election from the Returning Officer.
The ECI had issued guidelines for elections during the pandemic in August last year and then reiterated them during the latest Assembly elections.
BJP president J.P. Nadda welcomed the Election Commission’s order.
"I welcome the decision of the ECI banning celebrations and processions of electoral victories. I have directed all State units of BJP to strictly adhere to this decision. All karykartas of BJP are using their energies to help the ones in need in this hour of crisis," Mr. Nadda said in a tweet.
Source: Read Full Article