Have your fill this season of earthy, healthy khichdi recipes by Maharaj Jodharam Choudhary, corporate chef at Khandani Rajdhani, a chain of thali restaurants serving Rajasthani food.
Gehun Ki Bikaneri Khichdi is a one-pot meal which has the goodness of wheat and split yellow mung dal.
The popular Sabudana Khichdi is seasoned with rock salt, lemon juice, grated coconut and chopped coriander.
Gehun Ki Bikaneri Khichdi
- 2 cups whole wheat grain
- ½ cup split yellow mung dal
- ½ tbsp jeera or cumin seeds
- 3 green chillies, cut lengthwise
- ½ tsp haldi or turmeric powder
- ½ tbsp hing or asafoetida
- 2 tbsp ghee
- Salt to taste
- 5 cups hot water
- ½ cup peas, optional
- Wash and soak the wheat overnight. Drain and keep aside.
- Wash and soak mung dal for 2-3 hours. Drain and keep aside.
- In a mixer or blender grind the wheat to a coarse paste without using any water.
- Heat the ghee in a pressure cooker over medium heat.
Add the cumin seeds, green chillies and asafoetida.
When the seeds crackle, add the ground wheat, mung dal and saute for 4-5 minutes.
Add salt and 5 cups of hot water and pressure cook for 6-7 whistles or until the wheat is cooked.
Add the peas.
Transfer into a bowl and serve warm with yogurt on the side.
- 1½ cup sabudana
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup peanuts
- 4-5 green chillies, chopped fine
- 1 medium potato, uncooked
- 3 tbsp ghee
- 1-2 sprigs curry leaves
- 1 tsp jeera or cumin seeds
- Rock salt to taste
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp grated coconut
- A few sprigs of green dhania or coriander or cilantro, chopped
- Wash the sabudana and soak in 1 cup water for 3-4 hours or overnight.
- Roast peanuts on a tava over low heat.
Cool, peel off the skin and then grind coarsely in a mixer.
- Peel and wash the potato and cut into cubes.
- Heat ghee in a heavy-bottomed kadhai or pan.
Add the curry leaves, cumin seeds and chopped green chillies.
When the cumin seeds crackle add the potato cubes.
Cook till the potatoes are done.
Add the sabudana, coconut and ground peanuts. Saute for 4-5 minutes, stirring well.
Sprinkle a little water, add salt and lime juice. Mix well.
Serve hot garnshed with chopped coriander leaves.
- MORE RECIPES FOR YOU!
Source: Read Full Article