Sushant Singh Rajput death case: CBI begins probe

The CBI team, probing the death case of Sushant Singh Rajput, has been exempted by the BMC from the mandatory 14-day home quarantine. The CBI is expected to meet the Mumbai Police on Friday.




Sushant Singh Rajput’s death probe has been taken over by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI). In compliance with the Supreme Court order, a 10-member team of the CBI reached Mumbai on Thursday. The officials have been exempted from the mandatory 14-day home quarantine after the health department of the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) received an email from the CBI seeking exemption from home quarantine. BMC had on Wednesday said that if the CBI team visits Mumbai for more than seven days, it will have to apply for exemption via email. Earlier, the BMC had quarantined Bihar IPS officer Vinay Tiwari who had landed in the city to investigate the case.

The latest process follows the SC order earlier this week where it directed the CBI to take over the death case of Sushant Singh Rajput, while upholding the FIR filed by Sushant’s father KK Singh in Patna. The apex court further asked the Maharashtra Police to assist the CBI for the same. The team of CBI, which includes forensic experts, will visit the late actor’s Bandra residence, where he was found dead on June 14. The Mumbai Police on Thursday said that in keeping with the court order, its inquiry into the case will continue. A senior police officer said the investigation will continue “although people may not be summoned for recording statement for now.” So far, the Mumbai Police has registered the statements of 56 people, including filmmakers like Sanjay Leela Bhansali and Aditya Chopra. The CBI team is likely to meet the Mumbai Police officials on Friday and collect copies of the statements recorded so far.

In light of the ongoing CBI probe, Sushant’s sister Shweta Singh Kriti on Friday expressed her faith in the CBI. She took to Twitter to restate her trust in the investigating body, while also inviting fans and well-wishers to join her in a global prayer meet for Sushant on August 22. Shweta tweeted, “#CBIInMumbai The whole world has relentlessly fought for CBI Enquiry and now it is the responsibility of CBI to uphold our trust in them, we have full faith that CBI will most definitely bring the truth out and justice will be served. #CBIForSSR.”

Photos of documents being brought by the CBI team to Bandra Police station.

NCP chief Sharad Pawar said he hoped the CBI investigation in Sushant Singh Rajput case does not end up remaining unresolved like the Dr Narendra Dabholkar murder case, which is also being handled by CBI.

“I hope the investigation will not be carried on, as was done with Dr Narendra Dabholkar’s murder case also under investigation by the CBI, which commenced in 2014 and remains unresolved,” Sharad Pawar tweeted.

Read more here

The CBI team has reached Bandra Police Station for further investigation of Sushant Singh Rajput’s case, ANI tweeted.

According to ANI, CBI begins probe by questioning an “unidentified person” related to the Sushant Singh Rajput case on Friday.

The team of CBI, which reached Mumbai from Delhi late on Thursday, is on its way to the airforce transit facility in Santacruz, ANI sources reported.

Based on a complaint filed by Sushant Singh Rajput’s father KK Singh, the CBI has registered an FIR against girlfriend and actor Rhea Chakraborty, her family members and business manager Shruti Modi, apart from Sushant’s house manager Samuel Miranda. Singh had alleged that Rhea and her family had abetted the actor’s suicide by harassing him and diverting his money, among other offences. The Enforcement Directorate has also registered an FIR under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act after Sushant’s father claimed that money from his son’s bank account had been transferred to unverified accounts.

“My son was at the peak of his acting career till May 2019. During that period, Rhea and her relatives developed an acquaintance with my son, under a deliberate conspiracy, so that Rhea could establish herself in the film industry and with an eye on Sushant’s wealth… He was later made to rent a house that was haunted, and that had an impact on my son,” KK Singh said in the FIR.

Soon after the Supreme Court order on Wednesday, Sushant’s family thanked fans, well-wishers and Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar for supporting their demand for a CBI investigation into the actor’s death. The family issued a statement, an excerpt of which read, “Now that the country’s premier investigating agency has taken over, we believe that all those involved in the dastardly crime will be brought to justice.” The top court’s verdict was also welcomed by Sushant’s former partner-actor Ankita Lokhande and celebrities like Kriti Sanon, Hina Khan, Parineeti Chopra, Arjun Bijlani, Tusshar Kapoor, Rakul Preet Singh among others.

Source: Read Full Article