Recruitment of teachers put on hold

Decision on two pleas challenging directive impacting reservation is pending

Human Resource Development Minister Prakash Javadekar on Thursday said the government had put on hold recruitment of teachers in universities and colleges pending a decision on the two SLPs challenging a court directive that adversely impacted reservation for the Scheduled Caste, Scheduled Tribe and OBC communities.

During zero hour in the Rajya Sabha, Mr. Javadekar said the next hearing on the petitions was scheduled for August 13. The government was not in agreement with the court order and therefore, it had been challenged. The petitions have been filed by the Centre and the University Grants Commission (UGC).

In view of the order striking down the previous 200-point roster policy on institution-wise reservation for filling vacancies, the Minister said the UGC was forced to issue fresh guidelines on March 5, as the Supreme Court had upheld the Allahabad High Court order.

The new circular laid down a new mechanism that calculated the posts department or subject-wise, which adversely impacted the number of reserved seats.

Following the new circular, several institutions had advertised for interviews to fill outstanding vacancies. However, Mr. Javadekar said the Ministry on Wednesday issued orders to put the process on hold till the issue was decided.

The issue was first raised by Samajwadi Party leader Ram Gopal Yadav, who said the March 5 UGC order had left very few vacancies for them, even as the Constitution guaranteed 15%, 7.5% and 27% reservation for the SC/ST and OBC candidates.

Source: Read Full Article