2 Hyderabadis among victims in New Zealand mosque shooting, one injured, another not traced yet

At least two persons from Hyderabad are among the victims of the shooting in twomosques of New Zealand’s Christchurch, according to their family members.

Ahmed Iqbal Jahangir (32), a resident of Amberpet area in the city, was grievously injured in the firing and is battling for life at a local hospital there, whereas the whereabouts of Mohammad Farhaz Ahsan from Tolichowki, who was also said to be in the same mosque for the prayers, are not known yet.

Jahangir, who went to New Zealand more than 12 years ago, has been running a restaurant there, offering sumptuous Hyderabadi biryani and other Indian cuisine to customers, his elder brother Mohammad Khursheed told media.

“We do not know how exactly it happened, but what we were told by the police is that my brother was among scores of Muslims who were attending Friday prayers, when some miscreant fired at them indiscriminately. We were told he received bullet injuries in his chest and is expected to undergo surgery tomorrow,” Khursheed said.

His family members approached MIM president and Hyderabad MP Asaduddin Owaisi, who in turn requested the Telangana government to arrange a visa to Khursheed to rush to New Zealand to help his brother and his family.

Jahangir has wife and two daughters, one aged three and another five and all of them are living in Christchurch.

A gunman stormed into two mosques and opened fire killing 49 people and leaving 20 others injured during Friday prayers in New Zealand’s Christchurch.

At least 9 people of Indian nationality or Indian origin have been listed as missing after Friday’s Christchurch shootings at two New Zealand mosques, Indian envoy to New Zealand Sanjiv Kohli tweeted, citing updates received from multiple sources.

Khursheed said that the last time Iqbal visited home was around six to seven months ago. “He was in touch with us regularly. Ours is a big family — nine brothers and five sisters. My mother has been weeping inconsolably since he heard the news,” he said.

Meanwhile, Ahsan’s mother Imtiaz Fatima is also worried about the fate of her son. “His wife called us in the afternoon and told that he, too, had gone to the same mosque where the firing took place and had not returned since then. Please let me know if the media has any further details about my son,” she said.

According to her, Ahsan (27), who had done his engineering in electronics, had gone to Christchurch five years ago and had been working as an engineer there. “His wife and two children – a son and a daughter – are also staying with him. We are very much worried about what exactly happened,” Fatima said.

First Published:
Mar 15, 2019 20:34 IST

Source: Read Full Article